Helping Your Teen Choose a College
How can you help your teen think about college and make the choice that’s right for her? Start with these simple steps:
- Start early: Encourage her to begin thinking about colleges early in her junior year of high school, so she has time to research the options available to her and make an informed decision.
- Identify personal strengths: Talk to your teen about her interests, extracurricular activities, grades, awards and test scores. Help her identify her personal strengths and areas she might want to explore.
- Consider priorities: Encourage your teen to think about what she’s looking for in a college. Does she want to go away, stay close to home or study at a community college? Help her think through questions and find answers on her own.
- Research and narrow the choices: Consult high school guidance counselors, guidebooks and the Internet for information on potential colleges, and help your teen narrow the choices to those that are possible for her.
- Let your teen make the choice: Listen to your teen, provide support and guidance, but don’t make the decision for her.